Akshaya Tritiya, also known as Akha Teej or Akshaya Trutiya, is considered to be one of the most auspicious days for Hindus. On this day Sun and Moon are in their best planetary positions in the horoscope. It is considered to be the best day for starting anything new. It falls on the Third Lunar day of Shukla Paksha in the month of Vaisakha. As the name suggests, Akshaya Tritiya means the third day which blesses with unending prosperity. There are various stories associated with this day which are listed below:
- On this day Holy Ganga descended from heaven as a river due to the hard penance of Bhagirath.
- This day is also when Lord Parshuram incarnated and is hence also celebrated as Parshuram Jayanti.
- On Akshay Tritiya, First Tirthankar Rishabhdevji’s long fast of more than a year was ended with the offering of Shreyanskumar. Since then, many people observe the alternate year long fast known as Varshitap which gets complete on Akshay Tritiya.
- Pleased by the devotion of Sudama, Lord Krishna blessed him with all the earthly riches in return of a fistful rice that he gifted to Krishna. It happened on Tritiya and hence this name of Akshay Tritiya.
- Moreover during the exile of Pandavas, Shree Krishna saved them from the curse of Rishi Durvasa by converting Pandava’s empty vessel into an akshay patra (never ending vessel of food) and allowing them to serve the Rishi.
- According to a legend Ved Vyas started reciting Mahabharata to Lord Ganesha on this day.
- It is also believed that Kubera received his position as the Lord of Wealth on this day.
After knowing the significance of this day let’s see what should we do on this day to make the best use of this auspicious occasion.
- Serve the people whose Varshitap has completed on this day.
- Do Guru and Prabhu Darshana.
- Do charity.
- Serve cows.
- Worship peepal and Banyan Tree.
- Planting a Bilva Tree on this day can attract never ending wealth in your life.
- Buy Gold, Silver and auspicious gemstones on this day.
- Offer Paan to Goddess Lakshmi.
- Burn earthern lamp on the entrance of your home.
- Make Rangoli and hang Toran of mango leaves on your entrance.
- If possible perform havan on this day.
- One should chant auspicious mantras on this day.
Below is the list of dates according to Hindu Panchang on which Akshay Tritiya is about to come for next 10 years.
14th May, 2021 Friday
3rd May, 2022 Tuesday
22nd April, 2023 Saturday
10th May, 2024 Friday
30th April, 2025 Wednesday
19th April, 2026 Sunday
9th May, 2027 Sunday
27th April, 2028 Thursday
16th May, 2029 Wednesday
5th May, 2030 Sunday